Thursday, September 3, 2015

The role of Housework in Therapy

This post is dedicated to my wife. By involving and training Adi in chores at home and outside,  she has  expanded Adi's capabilities and also initiated development of life skills. 

The journey has started and  it is a blessing to see Adi  as a responsible member of the household by unloading the dishwasher, making his bed, folding his clothes and organizing his space. One of the traits of an autistic child that can be beneficially leveraged is the unfailing repetition of a task which can be made enjoyable for the child. He or she will continue to repeat it "as taught" provided the task is something interesting. Similar with chores. 

The challenge lies in making a chore interesting so that the child may follow it. For example, Adi like most autistic children loves sorting. Give him the entire set of washed knives, forks and spoons and he will sort the same happily into the cutlery tray. Expecting him to unload the dishes every time on his own and put them one on top of the other in the dish rack is an entirely different thing altogether. Imagine for a moment if the dish rack was made of a set of different sized slots - each for a particular design of dinner or snack plates - he would do it easily and often without being asked to do so.  Similarly, need some thinking on how to make the task of folding clothes and making the bed more interesting and order confirming to him. 

Similarly, grocery shopping would hit the mark. We will start this process shortly by giving Adi a list of items he knows by name and then guide him to the shelves to pick up each item. I am sure he will do this on his own and this shelf search and move from shelf to cart is something which confirms to a pattern that he likes. Plus the added advantage of him liking many of the food items like cookies, ice cream, frozen pizza and so on. These days he likes grocery shopping when allowed to pick up some foodstuffs that he likes and take them - his comfort snacks . We need to maintain a balance else the cart will fill with Hostess and Ben and Jerry's.

His world is indeed wondrous. It makes us think and makes us work to build scenarios for him. And praise God's greatest creation that drives us - the feeling of unconditional love.

13 comments:

  1. Dear Adi's dad,

    I'm writing to you from a mental health start up based in India. The organisation works towards raising awareness on mental health by empowering people with the right information and encouraging them to seek help when needed. I'm currently doing a bit of internet research on childhood mental health disorders and I'm very grateful to have come across your blog. Would like to get in touch with you- is there an email I can write to you at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really delayed in responding but if it helps - you can connect with me on joydipmukherji@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. HI Adi's dad. I live in Tamilnadu,India. Even my younger brother,Amrith,10 is autistic.I am 14. Happy to follow your blog. CAn you recommend some ideas to develop speech for my non verbal autistic brother

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aishwaryaa - it is so great to read about your interest in your brother's need. I know I am really late in responding - but write to me onjoydipmukherji@gmail.com and I will respond with some ideas that you can leverage.

      Delete
  3. Hi Adi's parents, I am an autism mom from Dubai..can I get in touch with please by email. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roopa - really sorry for the delay. You can get in touch with us at joydipmukherji@gmail.com

      Delete
  4. HBOT for autism is that the treatments increase cerebral blood flow, thereby delivering oxygen to areas of the brain which are thought to be hypoxic. Greater amounts of blood and oxygen stimulate cerebral tissues and aid in recovery damaged neurons. HBOT also reduces swelling of brain tissues which aid in neurological function.
    kindly click on link to know more:
    http://physiotherapylounge.blogspot.in/2016/08/india-benefits-if-hyperbaric-oxygen.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Adi's dad,

    I am mother to three years old autistic boy.Currently following some home based activities for OT, SPEECH THERAPY.I would like to communicate with you about my boy and would like to listen from you your valuable suggestions.Can you please provide me your email ?

    Regards,
    Vani Havisha
    vanihavisha@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vani - I think I responded to your mail. Please connect with me and we can communicate.

      Delete
  6. First time I’ve heard of blogs. Great source of information worth reading on different topics. In addition, a lot of good tips. I think I will like blogging.
    Kurta Pyjama For Kids In India

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a sign of gratitude for how my son was saved from autism, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My son suffered autism in the year 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, he always have difficulty with communication, , and he always complain of poor eye contact . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the cure to autism . I never imagined autism has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my son will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my son used it and in one months time he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life.autism has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony .

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are some natural remedies that can be used in the prevention and eliminate diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome life style Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying a good physical health and over all well-being. The inner peace and self contentment is a just a state of mind.People with diabetes diseases often use complementary and alternative medicine. I diagnosed diabetes in 2000. Was at work feeling unusually tired and sleepy. I borrowed a glucometer from a co-worker and tested at 760. Went immediately to my doctor and he gave me prescription like: Insulin ,Sulfonamides, but I could not get the cure rather to reduce the pain and brink back the pain again. I found a woman testimony name Comfort online how Dr Akhigbe cure her HIV  and I also contacted the doctor and after I took his medication as instructed, I am now completely free from diabetes by doctor Akhigbe herbal medicine.So diabetes patients reading this testimony to contact his email     drrealakhigbe@gmail.com   or his Number   +2348142454860   He also use his herbal herbs to diseases like:SPIDER BITE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, LUPUS,EXTERNAL INFECTION, COMMON COLD, JOINT PAIN, BODY PAIN, EPILEPSY,STROKE,TUBERCULOSIS ,STOMACH DISEASE. ECZEMA, PROGERIA, EATING DISORDER, LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION,  DIABETICS,HERPES,HIV/AIDS, ;ALS,  CANCER , MENINGITIS,HEPATITIS A AND B, THYROID, ASTHMA, HEART DISEASE, CHRONIC DISEASE. AUTISM, NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,KIDNEY DISEASE, WEAK ERECTION. EYE TWITCHING PAINFUL OR IRREGULAR MENSTRUATION.Dr Akhigbe is a good man and he heal any body that come to him. here is email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    and his Number +2349010754824

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can so relate with your blogs. My son also happens to be on spectrum and has made a substantial progress over the years. Recently I have written a book to share my experiences of raising a special child. Have also started a blog series to create more awareness about the condition.
    You may want to check my story on my website https://anunexpectedjourney.in/

    ReplyDelete